Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Welcome World & about Choline

Well, first off, this blog isn't going to be one of those in-depth ones with tons of information. I'll be frank here and tell you my goal with this blog is mostly selfish; I hope to encourage myself to stay on top of new nutrition information and keep my dietetics brain working as I keep moving forward as a stay-at-home mom. I am going to try to update here at least once a week but don't be offended if I miss here and there. It has taken me months to get to this first post.

However, I hope the information will be helpful in making nutrition research and headlines more understandable and more applicable to the every day mom. Being engrossed in motherhood and a young child, that will obviously be my focus. I also hope to have helpful links to those blogs and websites that put a lot more effort into these things. I simply don't have the time, I have too much playing to do with my toddler :)

Okay, on to the first topic: Choline. Ever heard of it? It's not a nutrient that you hear about a whole lot but it does play its own important role. Choline is a vitamin-like micronutrient. In our bodies it is found in cell membranes, involved with fat transport and helps with liver, brain and nerve (memory) functions. I have recently been seeing more of it in the news and research studies as it is a starting point for some of the processes in fetal development. More especially it seems to be important in the brain development of babies, even being a factor in neural tube defects. When moms don't get enough choline during pregnancy the risk of neural tube defects increases 2x.(1)

This is a concern because according to NHANES (National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2003-04 data) research about 90% of US pregnant women eat less than the recommended amount of choline(2). The AI (Adequate Intake) being 426 mg/day and the average intake being 338 mg/day.  However, the increase in neural tube defects was noted at or below the level of 290 mg/day. There is also something you should know about when they say AI (Adequate Intake) versus RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowances).

RDA's are much more scientifically sound whereas AI comes from observing how much of different nutrients the average healthy person gets. The reasoning is that if the person is healthy and that is how much they eat, then about that much is probably what is needed for most people to stay healthy. As you see, a much looser way of recommending things versus the RDA where they have research that shows them what the level is for optimal health.

Okay, blah, blah. On to the application. So in summary choline is important for normal baby development. Women may not be eating enough whilst pregnant and as breastfeeding moms. But we don't really know for sure because the recommended levels aren't really known. Also, as far as I can tell the average intake according NHANES is still above the level where they noticed the neural tube defect increase.

Here is my recommendation, make sure you are getting choline in your diet - especially if you are pregnant or nursing. Choline is not often in prenatal supplements. Maybe it will be more now as more information comes out about its importance, but it is something to check out. Here are some of the top food sources of choline(3):



For more food sources you can check here also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choline


References:
1. Shaw GM, Carmichael SL, Yang W, Selvin S, Schaffer DM. Periconceptional dietary intake of choline and betaine and neural tube defects in offspring. Am J Epidemiol. 2004;160:102-109.
2. Caudill MA. Pre- and Postnatal Health: Evidence of Increased Choline Needs. J Am Diet Assoc. 2010;110:1198-1204.
3. Marcia Greenblum. Choline: The Unknown Essential Nutrient [Internet]. Version 3. Knol. 2008 Oct 2. Available from: http://knol.google.com/k/marcia-greenblum/choline-the-unknown-essential-nutrient/j40it7v2kg6/14.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I like reading about nutrition, but I feel like I still don't know very much. I'll definitely be reading this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete